About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Wednesday, September 7, 2011

A New Love



I was inspired by Amanda's post on her blog Simple and Creative Living to try my hand at making Lemon Curd. I've always wondered what it tasted like, I guess the name curd put me off. Amanda calls it Lemon Butter in her post. Doesn't that sound much more appealing? Anything with butter in the name sounds good to me!


I wanted to preserve some of the new creation so I did some research and found canning curd is a pretty controversial subject. I read loads of recipes and differing opinions on the subject and almost changed my mind. When I finally came across this post on the blog A Gardener's Table I decided I was safe and I would give it a try.


I'm so glad I did! My husband and I both fell in love with Lemon Curd aka Lemon Butter instantly! There was a little left over after that wouldn't fit in the last jar so I poured it in a goblet and placed it in the refrigerator. About three in the morning I heard a rumbling in the kitchen, rather than investigate I turned over and went back to sleep. The next morning the midnight prowler confessed. "I woke up in the middle of the night and all I could think about was that lemon stuff! Where did you put it?"


I told him and his reply was, "Oh, I couldn't find it and so I figured you ate it all. Will you show me where it is? That's all I' can't get it out of my mind until I taste it again!"


I gave him the rest of the left-overs and he devoured it.


A couple of nights later while watching t.v. he said, "I've got an idea! Let's open up one of your little lemon jars and have a snack!"


My guess is I didn't make enough of this. I'm thinking of planting a lemon tree!


Here is the recipe I finally decided on, found at Cheery Observations.

She adapted this recipe from the book Put ‘em Up!


Lemon Curd

Makes 3 cups

Ingredients

1 tablespoon lemon zest

1 cup lemon juice (from about 5 lemons)

1 1/2 cups sugar

1 1/2 sticks of butter, cut into pieces

4 eggs

1/2 teaspoon of salt

Directions

1. Combine all of the ingredients in the top of a double boiler.

2. Bring the water in the bottom pan to a low boil and whisk the mixture constantly until it thickens. This can take anywhere from 10 minutes to 25 minutes.

3. Strain mixture through a fine mesh sieve.

4. Ladle into jars and let cool. Refrigerate for up to 2 weeks.


4 comments:

  1. So wait... how do you eat this? Or what do you eat it with?

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is traditionally served with scones, biscuits, and as filling for cakes, or topping for ice cream, but is also fabulous straight out of the jar especially with gingersnaps!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've never had lemon curd but I bet it's yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love reading your blog! Such a beautiful family!

    ReplyDelete