About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Monday, September 12, 2011

Vintage Blues



Aprons: It's been a craze for a while now, and I love it! I adore anything nostalgic that points back to a simpler time where for almost everyone home was the center from which life extended. Aprons seem to sing of that time. Just think of the emotions conjured up whenever you see an old apron. Some are instantly taken back to a moment of memory somewhere in their history that is grounded in home, if not your own at least one portrayed on tv. I know that everyone doesn't have those fond memories of childhood associated with Mom or Grand-mom in the kitchen and wonderful smells pouring forth, but at some point most have lived these moments vicariously through books or tv (Aunt Bea, from Andy Griffith, June Cleaver,... you know the list goes on and on). Aprons seem to bring those memories flooding back.

I collect vintage aprons because they speak to me like that. I don't have a proper place to display them. They hang from hooks and on cupboards around my kitchen, they are folded away, and mashed in a drawer here and there, but each time one pops into my line of vision I am once again flooded with memories.

I hope you have a wonderful Monday, and that seeing my little quartet of blue aprons has brought back to you at least one special moment of time. If it has I would love for you to share it in the comments below.


5 comments:

  1. There was an apron exhibition here last year and some of the vintage aprons were divine. I recall a time when everyone wore aprons. I have a couple my grandmother embroidered by hand that are so ornate.

    Yours are gorgeous Mindy. I wonder why people dont wear aprons so much these days?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Shay, I think people buy clothes more often and think if they mess up an outfit they will just go get another one, another reason is a lot of people don't cook at home anymore.

    I would love to see your grandmother's embroidered aprons!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I saw in a magazine a long time ago where they had used aprons as the valance in their kitchen. Looked so darn cute!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love aprons too. My mom always wore them, and sometimes when I'm busy in the kitchen I wish I had one.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cheryl, I have thought about that and may try it soon! I think a clothesline instead of curtain rods would be great!

    Petra, I have them everywhere and usually forget to put one on until it's too late!

    ReplyDelete