About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Tuesday, September 6, 2011

Experimenting with Okra


The okra is producing like gangbusters. I guess that old technique really did the trick! I've pickled some, frozen some, cooked some, and when I picked a bucket full the other day again I set it aside until I got caught up on a few other things. (Actually, I never get caught up, but I was attempting to get caught up.) I was bustling about trying to get the kitchen back in order after a late breakfast. There was still some pancake batter left. I hate wasting food, but I was about to throw it out and turned around to see that bucket full of okra staring at me.

Suddenly I was struck with an idea. What if I washed the okra and dipped it whole in the pancake batter and fried it? I washed several pods, got out the iron skillet and some oil and tried it.

I called to my husband who was in the other room to come and try this new concoction. At first he turned up his nose. "Pancake batter? Really?" was his comment, but when I assured him the batter wasn't sweet he consented to be the tester. "Hey, that's really good." He proclaimed as he reached for a bowl to fill for a snack.

So now I have a new way to cook okra. Do any of you have an okra recipe you'd like to share? I love it in gumbo, soups, fried, boiled with peas, but I'm always open to different ideas. Please, share if you will.

3 comments:

  1. Hmmm.... leaving it whole you say? I wonder if that helps with the sliminess. I always cut mine.
    I like to use corn muffin mix. I'll bet the pancake batter is delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I need in on all these veggies!! I've been dying to pickle okra and make pepper jelly, but my budget doesn't allow for it.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need in on all these veggies!! I've been dying to pickle okra and make pepper jelly, but my budget doesn't allow for it right now.

    ReplyDelete