About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Saturday, August 22, 2009

Sweet/ Hot

A quick picture of the girls before they went to ride horses.


























Now no one has accused me of being the brightest crayon in the box, why would that be?  Maybe it is because I do foolish things like make peanut brittle after a dental emergency, while my dentist is still out of town, and while I'm supposed to be on a diet.  Humm, maybe...  but really, there was a reason, of sorts.  You see our jalapenos  are still producing, but the tomatoes are not keeping the pace, and the cilantro is no more.  I've been looking for jalapeno recipes when I suddenly remembered this awesome gift basket we received from friends in Texas.  It had the most amazing jalapeno peanut brittle so I decided I would find a recipe and try it.  The first recipe I tried only called for 1/2 cup of peanuts.  The brittle was good, but not very hot.  I decided to take my regular peanut brittle recipe and add the peppers to it.  Yummy!  but still not enough fire.  The last batch I decided to use pecans and triple the peppers.  It took a very long time even in the microwave.  I think the liquid that cooked out of the peppers juiced it up and made it take longer to get to the right temperature.  It had the fire and the pecans were really good, but next time I will stick with the second recipe and throw in a few seeds for heat.  My kitchen still smells of pepper so strongly that I am thrown into a fit of coughing and sneezing every time I go in there.  Here is the recipe for the second batch:

Jalapeno Peanut Brittle

1 1/2 cups of raw peanuts
1 cup sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1/2 cup light corn syrup
1 tablespoon butter
1 tsp almond flavoring
1/2 cup jalapenos chopped
tsp baking soda

Mix nuts, sugar, syrup and salt together in a microwave-safe casserole dish

Cook in microwave on high for 4 minutes 

Add jalapenos; stir well; then cook on high for  4 more minutes

Add butter and vanilla cook 2 more minutes

Stir in baking soda and stir until light and foamy 

Pour into a buttered cookie sheet; spread till thin

Let cool and break into pieces

Enjoy




 

No comments:

Post a Comment