About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Tuesday, December 7, 2010

Tasty Treat


One of my favorite cookies is a rosette. I used to make them when I first got married many, many moons ago. I haven't thought about them in years, and then the other day as I was cleaning out a cabinet I found my rosette iron. It's not a fancy contraption just a star or snowflake on the end of a metal stick. You dip the end into the batter and then into hot oil and presto you have a beautiful cookie. These lovely goodies taste like a cross between a potato chip and a funnel cake. I know, that sounds kinda weird and not very appetizing, but it really is good! Trust me!! Here is the recipe straight out of Betty Crocker's cookbook, the one I received as a wedding gift way back when.






Rosettes

Vegetable oil
1 egg
1 tablespoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1/2 cup water or milk
1/2 cup all-purpose flour

Heat oil (2-3 inches) in small deep saucepan to 400 degrees. Beat egg, sugar and salt in small deep bowl. Beat in 1 tablespoon oil, the water and flour until smooth. Heat rosette iron by placing in hot oil 1 minute. Tap excess oil from iron on paper towels; dip hot iron into batter just to top edge (don't go over top). Fry until golden brown, about 30 seconds. Immediately remove rosette; invert on paper towel to cool. (If rosette is not crisp stir in a small amount of water or milk.)

Heat iron in hot oil and tap on paper towels before making each rosette. (If iron is not hot enough batter will not stick.) Just before serving, sprinkle with powdered sugar if desired.

18 rosettes


These make such a festive cookie.



1 comment: