About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Carmel

While visiting California we toured Carmel Mission which was founded in 1770. I believe it was the second mission built in California, and work started on the church building that is still there today in 1793.


























It was a lovely place, and I know this is crazy, but I couldn't help thinking of John Wayne while walking around there.


































I confess this, finding it disturbingly sad that instead of thinking of the noble purpose of such a place I kept thinking of western movies, at least while walking around outside. Once inside, the iconic art and architecture all moved me away from fictional fantasy, and toward a holy spiritual place.








Walking through those doors the transformation of thought was almost instant. I don't want to sound overly dramatic, but it was something to experience. Again, pictures do not do justice to an experience, but I'm sharing them anyway.

No comments:

Post a Comment