About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Saturday, May 8, 2010

My Mom


Oh, there are a thousand things I could say about my mom, most all of them good. She is loving and kind, patient, a good listener, generous, a wonderful cook, she does beautiful embroidery, she sews, she's a hard worker, a fervent prayer, a loyal friend, and I'm so blessed to call her Mom. I have so many memories of her from childhood, some funny, some tender.

I'll never forget one time my brother was in trouble, and instead of taking his punishment as usual, he decided to run. My mother chased him, even when he scampered to the top of a tree she was right behind him switch in hand. (no, we were not abused.) Numerous times when I woke up scared in the night she would come into my room and hold my hand until I fell back to sleep. She did this even though she had four younger kids to care for, and probably needed sleep much worse than I did.

I remember when I brought my son home from the hospital and found out just how little I knew about babies. I called Mom and asked her, "When is it going to happen?"

"When is what going to happen?" she replied.

"When am I going to be a mother, you know, and have all of the answers like you do?"

She howled with laughter. "You think I have all of the answers?"

"Well, you seem to. You always seem to know just what to do and what to say."

"It doesn't just happen, in fact, you never have all of the answers, but with time and experience you learn more and more what to do. You make a lot of mistakes, but with prayer and persistence you'll learn to do your best, and that's all anyone can ask."

Good advise........and she keeps giving good advice...just one of the reasons I love her so much.

Now lest you think she is perfect I will share one little flaw, she has been known to burn the bread a few times.

No comments:

Post a Comment