About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Saturday, August 27, 2011

More With Pears and Peppers


Saturday I worked some more on canning pepper jelly. I made a couple of batches and then decided to try my hand at making hot sauce. I couldn't find that much about it on line. There were loads of sites on pepper sauce, you know the kind where you heat up vinegar and spices and pour the hot vinegar over the peppers that you leave whole of sliced in the bottle. That wasn't what I wanted. I wanted to try my hand at a flavorful sauce to can. Although I didn't find exactly what I was looking for I did find a few hot sauce recipes that were not meant for canning. I looked them over and decided to just wing it. My sister-in-law from Georgia brought us this really great sauce made with hot peppers, sweet onions, and peaches. It is amazing! As a matter of fact I had to buy some more last time I visited her. I wanted to try something like that, a little fruity, a little hot and very flavorful.

I began by roasting the peppers, once again, a mix from the garden. I used jalapeno, small red peppers that I call tabasco peppers, I'm not sure what their real name is, and red and orange banana peppers. I chopped up onion and about half a head of garlic, I added some honey and balsamic vinegar, I roasted two pears peeled, quartered and cored. I did not let them fully roast, but heated them through a little bit. Then I added the juice of a lime and an orange and a little orange zest along with some salt and pepper. After I tasted the sauce I added more vinegar, white this time, and a little sugar. I didn't measure anything. I whirled it all together in the food processor for a while then I cooked it for 30-45 minutes.

It has a really nice flavor with a bit of a kick. I am surprised that it turned out so well since I didn't have a clue what I was doing. I poured the sauce in a couple of glass jars and a pretty little cruet and will store it in the refrigerator.

2 comments:

  1. It was yummy! I can't wait to have some more! I am proud of all your hard work preserving this year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks! You know I've enjoyed it. I keep wondering what else I can make to can? I want to shift gears and sew some, but I still have jars left and hate not to fill them. lol!

    ReplyDelete