About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Tuesday, July 2, 2013

Tomato Love

One of my very favorite things about summer is REAL tomatoes.  I don't like those tasteless things that masqurade as tomatoes in the off season.  Nope, give me a real homegrown, preferably heirloom tomato with lots of acid, you know the kind that makes your mouth breakout.  Now that's a tomato! I love them just about any way, straight up out of the garden with a little salt and pepper, made into a fresh salsa, tomato pie, canned alone, or in salsa, or spaghetti sauce, but my favorite way is a plain old tomato sandwich on white bread with mayo, salt and pepper.  That's just hard to beat...that is until recently.

I had some gorgeous tomatoes and wouldn't you know, it no white bread.  We really don't eat white bread much anymore.  That tomato was just calling my name.  I looked through the cabinets and found a french roll and thought, "that'll do".  I opened the fridge to get the mayo and saw some fresh mozzarella, so I figured why not.  This wasn't going to be my typical sandwich anyway, why not change it all up.  I happened to have just brought in some basil and oregano from the herb garden, so I chopped them up and layered bread, tomato, herbs, salt, pepper, granulated garlic and mozzarella and popped it into the toaster oven, with no mayo at all.

 Umm, when those herbs started getting warm the aroma filled my kitchen and spilled over into the other rooms.  I had to fight myself so I wouldn't eat it while it was so hot it would have pulled the roof of my mouth off.  Anyway, I have eaten one of these for lunch for the last several days and a few times for supper as well.  I haven't gotten tired of them yet.  I hope your summer is full of fresh, ripe, yummy, REAL tomatoes.  If so, you have got to give this sandwich a try.

No comments:

Post a Comment