About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Friday, November 6, 2009

November Musings




Autumn always makes me feel nostalgic.  I don't know why.  Memories seem to flood my mind as my favorite time of year rolls around.  My mind is simply full of beautiful memories.  I feel guilty sometimes because I am so blessed when so many are hurting.  As Thanksgiving approaches, which by the way is my favorite holiday, I am truly filled with gratitude already.  You see, I fall too many times into the habit of complaining, which is a sorry waste of time.  I whine when the light doesn't turn green fast enough, or when I come home to a mess I didn't make, trivial stuff.  

So instead of wallowing in negativity over miniscule mishaps

 or disappointments, I'm going to enjoy my sweet memories.  I'm going to make a really short list, compared to the fullness of my heart, and maybe some of my divulging will trigger some of your fond memories too.  Here goes:

-The supper table - noisy, joyful sharing, often talking over one another, and acting out various scenes from our day 
-walks together as a family down a dirt road in the evening
-summer swims
-sliding down steep hills, covered in dry grass  in the fall on big cardboard appliance boxes
-evening devotions and some of the funny things my little brothers prayed for 
-singing in the car on trips with the windows rolled down
-singing off key on the front porch while my dad played the guitar
-yard and garden work, which I hated at the time, but now look back on fondly
-chasing fireflies at dusk in the summer
-decorating the Christmas tree and singing carols
-the wonderful spur of the moment snacks my mom would make like caramel pop corn or chocolate oatmeal cookies
-visits from friends and relatives
-trips to my grandparents
-running down the cold hall in the morning and jumping in my parent's bed and listening to them tell me stories

Okay, I did say short list so I'll stop there for now.  Man, I didn't even get past early childhood.  I guess that's enough reminiscing for one night,  but when you get started down memory lane it's kinda hard to stop.  If I lose my short term memory as I get older, at least I'll have some pleasant things to dwell on, and tell over and over again.


No comments:

Post a Comment