About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Monday, August 5, 2013

My Father in the Kitchen

My dad doesn't cook very often.  My mom tells a story of a time when she had surgery and Daddy maked banana sandwiches for every meal.  Of course, that was a long time ago, and I'm here to tell you he more than made up for it the other day!  I can say that because I didn't have to eat banana sandwiches for a week. (giggle)



My mom has been a little under the weather, and Daddy decided to make lunch the other day when I was there.  I'm so very glad I was there!



Before my parents sold their business and retired they often traveled to Europe to buy antiques.  I was married when they began traveling overseas instead of buying their merchandise stateside.  My brothers have all traveled overseas with my parents, but I never got that opportunity.  Every time they went to Belgium they came back talking about the incredible waffles they bought on the streets there, making my mouth water.


Daddy tried often to recreate the recipe, but never was satisfied until recently.  Sugar waffles also called Liege Waffles have an unique ingredient that makes all of the difference in the world in the outcome of the waffles.  The product is Lars Belgian Pearl Sugar.  It's $16 a pound plus shipping so I don't think we will make this a weekly addition to our menus.  It's a good thing too since they are very calorie dense.  However, if you are going to splurge this is certainly the way to go!



One other word of warning, you may spend a great deal of time trying to clean your waffle iron afterwards.  The sugar melts into the waffles and oozes into the iron making a sticky mess, but I think you should at least experience this one time in your life!




I personally can't compare these to the waffles in Belgium, but my family says they taste the same.  If the ones in Belgium are any better I don't think I could stand it.



My pictures are poor quality phone pics.  I was too busy drooling and eating to break out the real camera.


By the way, if you need an excuse to give in to this yumminess August 24 is National Waffle Day.  Mark your calendar and get out that Belgian Waffle Iron!

This recipe is basically the one on the box of sugar minus the eggs.

Belgian Sugar Waffles

3 1/2 cups flour
1 packet dry yeast
3/4 cup lukewarm milk
1 cup butter, softened
1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp vanilla
1 box Lars' Own Belgian Pearl Sugar 

Dissolve yeast in warm milk.  
Gradually add all ingredients except the sugar to the flour.  
Let dough rise until double in bulk (about 30 minutes)
Divide dough into small patties about 3-4 oz. each
Bake in heated and greased waffle iron.

These will be extremely hot, and the melted sugar will burn you in a heartbeat so be very careful!





No comments:

Post a Comment