About Me

My photo
Wife, Mother, Mimi, lover of all things creative... sewing, embroidery, painting, collage... God and family are the most important things in my life.

Monday, June 28, 2010

Momma's Summer Goulash



This recipe is not Hungarian nor is it a stew, but rather a wonderful mixture of vegetables lightly dusted with cornmeal and fried. (yeah, I'm from the south) It is the perfect thing to make when your garden just starts producing, and you don't have enough of any on individual thing to cook by itself.

My mom has made this for as far back as I can remember, and it is one of the things my family looks forward to every summer. The vegetables can be changed up according to what you have, for the batch I made I used squash, okra, potatoes, banana pepper, and onion, but I have also used eggplant, zucchini, jalapeno, green tomato, etc. The possibilities are endless.

To make it I just chop my vegetables in large hunks, roughly the same size. I toss them in cornmeal. Heat some oil in an iron skillet. Pour in the veggies, placing a lid on the pan for a little while letting them brown on that side. Gently flip them over, and let them brown on the other side still with the lid so they will cook all the way through. You have to be careful not to stir them too much or they will turn to mush. When they're done salt them well, and serve them hot. Then let me know what you think.

No comments:

Post a Comment